Sunday 26 July 2020

Wrinklies may manage a few steps.

Assuming all is well, Wrinklitourist is off to the Alps on 30 July.  Hilarious mix ups with the bookings have confirmed my ability to mess up.  This is known as " doing a Basel" in my family, after I booked a flight to Basel which turned out to be a flight to Zurich, but I only realised when I was on the 'plane.  Then there was the time I booked a hotel for a chum's splendid retirement do at a Bristol restaurant, only to turn up the day after the event.  Or the time I turned up 24 hours early for a flight to Croatia.  Or the time I read 14.00 as 4pm, and missed a flight to the Philippines.  You begin to see the theme emerging.  This time I managed to book all onward trains and accommodation for the day before I arrive.

If I manage to arrive in Aosta, my intention is to start the Via at the St Bernard Pass, and tick off about 6 stages before next year.  This means that my planning for 2021 will not need to take account of a snow-blocked stage at the start, and I should be able to start in early May.  The bro is not participating, having walked with me for three days in the Welsh mountains last week, and been shown a clean pair of heels (I like to flatter myself, in fact he was leaping gazelle-like up the steepest slopes while I puffed along behind.).

More to follow, once I am in Italy.


No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to have your comments and messages to help cheer us on your way. For those of you who know us, please help us maintain our search engine anonymity by not revealing our surname or any other personal data in any comments you make. We are dinosaurs who don't do social media!

Pilgrim Passport stamps on the Italian Via Francigena

The pilgrim passport stamp is useful in authenticating your journey, demonstrating your validity as a pilgrim and for giving credence...