Friday 13 May 2022

Stage 13b: Villanova to Pavia. Fluffy woods and penance. (Part 2).

In the end, I'm glad I did, as this morning's walk, mostly through lovely cool spring woodland of poplar and acacia, beside the banks of the wide, gravelly Ticino was not to be missed. 
The poplar fluff blurred the path and softened every sharp line. At one point, a fallen branch forced a detour, and allowed a proper look at how the stuff grows. It's like super-fine cotton wool. 
I have been wondering if these are actually poplars. Perhaps any aboricultural folk out there (Mazza, are you reading this?) might be able to tell me.

The cuckoo was back again, and as I approached Pavia, with a first sight of the Duomo and brick towers, much as ancient pilgrims would have seen, 
the excitement grew as some very important gravel-working WG hove into view, and this is the shot the Bro would have taken.
The sex workers' huts which the guide book suggested I avoid, as a lone female, were not in evidence on the river bank, and I reached the covered bridge at Pavia as the bells rang for noon, just in time for my first pizza of the trip.

6 comments:

  1. They look very much like poplars to me but I'm no authority. Was the pizza as good as it looked?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrinklitourist14 May 2022 at 14:55

      I agree, and today's research seems to back that up. But I didn't know that poplars did that furry stuff!

      Delete
  2. Wrinklitourist14 May 2022 at 14:56

    Oh, and yes it was!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great WG! You didn’t mention the serial number of the machine though so I couldn’t enter it into my book.
    Must have been uplifting to see the duomo appear on the horizon. Just put one foot in front of the other, brilliant effort so far! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eventually an answer from the tree guy,yes poplars they are :-)
    Pizza looks delious x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wrinklitourist23 May 2022 at 07:08

      Aaah, thanks, tree guy. I'm hoping that another follower will post a great story about that fluff shortly. And, yes, it was delicious.

      Delete

We'd love to have your comments and messages to help cheer us on your way. For those of you who know us, please help us maintain our search engine anonymity by not revealing our surname or any other personal data in any comments you make. We are dinosaurs who don't do social media!

Pilgrim Passport stamps on the Italian Via Francigena

The pilgrim passport stamp is useful in authenticating your journey, demonstrating your validity as a pilgrim and for giving credence...