Sunday 15 May 2022

Stages 14b and 15: Belgioso to Santa Cristina e Bissone, and on to Orio Litta, or nearly. Cyclists, bee-eaters and an unexpected journey. (Part 2)

Then into the now familiar terrain of poplar and acacia woodland, 
where I stopped to turn my trousers into shorts and administer the necessary sun and jungle formula anti-mosquito unguents. While doing so, hoards of intense, fired-up cyclists in large groups kept appearing, taking a wrong turning, then turning round and racing on. For the next couple of hours, the Via was populated by these groups, as well as some more sedate ones happily pedalling along in the morning sunshine.

I made excellent progress through Miradolo Terme and Camporinaldo, with its pretty church, 
and odd plastic grotto opposite, 
and arrived in Santa Cristina, where the church was open and had a stamp. I rewarded myself with a coffee and filled up the water bladder.

2 comments:

  1. Yesterday sounded increasingly heart-dropping until that act of kindness appearing from nowhere as you say, how many times does that happen on a journey and it’s taught me to do the same when I can, I’ll bore you with my experience in Campbeltown some time. Forget the fluffy stuff, keep the WGs coming.x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely church and a really tacky grotto!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to have your comments and messages to help cheer us on your way. For those of you who know us, please help us maintain our search engine anonymity by not revealing our surname or any other personal data in any comments you make. We are dinosaurs who don't do social media!

Pilgrim Passport stamps on the Italian Via Francigena

The pilgrim passport stamp is useful in authenticating your journey, demonstrating your validity as a pilgrim and for giving credence...