Thursday 19 May 2022

Stage 18: Fiorenzuola to Fidenza. And back again and again...(Part 2)

And so into Fidenza, hot and weary, to find the extraordinary western facade of the Duomo.  
Lunch and then to the tourist office just opposite the Duomo for a stamp, accompanied by an interrogation and a gift of cheese; we are in parmesan country after all. Then a photo in front of the Duomo for their records, and much interest expressed in the sponsoring aspect of the journey, and the URL for justgiving provided.  

At Fidenza station, I happened to notice a message scrolling across the departure board warning of another strike tomorrow, that being the day when I had planned to do my most complicated transfer to Medesano, where trains are infrequent and few buses run.

On my way back from Piacenza station I called in at the bus station to see if a total bus itinerary might be possible, only to discover that the strike also covers buses.

So, plan D results in my having swiftly packed and travelled to Parma for a night so that travel to Medesano is more easily accomplished tomorrow.

One of the lovely hotel staff took me to the station, and I got on the train. Then she rang me to say I still had the keys. I dashed off the train, ran out to the forecourt to meet her, and then ran back onto the train, only then realising that I'd left my bigger bag on the train. Luckily all was fine. Surprisingly, given the disruption tomorrow, the train was pretty empty. 

 Fiorenzuola is a nice enough wee town, but: three times in one day?

5 comments:

  1. Karlos Fandango20 May 2022 at 08:40

    Blimey, that was a close one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wrinklitourist20 May 2022 at 08:53

      Phew! And how. Love the soubriquet, by the way!

      Delete
  2. How are feet and legs holding up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wrinklitourist21 May 2022 at 13:16

      They definitely benefitted from lying in bed most of yesterday afternoon! On Thursday the right leg wasn't happy at all by the time I got to Parma, but today, Saturday, they were good as gold, thanks for asking!

      Delete
  3. I love the eroded, toothless lions. Not quite the fearsome guardians the bishop envisioned when he commissioned them from the sculptor.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to have your comments and messages to help cheer us on your way. For those of you who know us, please help us maintain our search engine anonymity by not revealing our surname or any other personal data in any comments you make. We are dinosaurs who don't do social media!

Pilgrim Passport stamps on the Italian Via Francigena

The pilgrim passport stamp is useful in authenticating your journey, demonstrating your validity as a pilgrim and for giving credence...