Sunday 15 May 2022

Stages 14b and 15: Belgioso to Santa Cristina e Bissone, and on to Orio Litta, or nearly. Cyclists, bee-eaters and an unexpected journey. (Part 1)


Buckle up folks! This one's rather a long tale.

Knowing I was in for a long one in unseasonal 30°C or more, I tried to get an early train to Belgioso to get at least the first part, to Santa Cristina, out of the way in lower temperatures. Getting to the station, however, proved challenging early on a Sunday morning, and Uber wasn't playing, so I opted to walk, but, having left it a little late, managed to just miss the train, with another not due for an hour, but luckily spotted a taxi and splashed out on that for a 16km ride. When I explained that I had missed the train, the taxi driver said something and waved his hand in the general direction of some Trenord officials standing outside the station. I didn't quite understand, but gathered there was a problem.

Arriving in the morning cool opposite Belgioso castle, I took a coffee and cornetto (which means croissant, in Italian, not the UK ice cream), and duly set off to Santa Cristina.

Just on the outskirts, I spotted a man touching up some incredible paintwork.
Then I skirted a very large quarry (the only WG moment for you)
 and met a man taking photos of birds, especially the brightly coloured bee-eaters. We chatted about birds for a bit, I saw my first ever bee-eater, and then I went on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to have your comments and messages to help cheer us on your way. For those of you who know us, please help us maintain our search engine anonymity by not revealing our surname or any other personal data in any comments you make. We are dinosaurs who don't do social media!

Pilgrim Passport stamps on the Italian Via Francigena

The pilgrim passport stamp is useful in authenticating your journey, demonstrating your validity as a pilgrim and for giving credence...