Sunday 29 May 2022

Stage 25b: Sarzana to Carrera Avenza. Ancient ruins, (a ruined ancient?). (Part 2)

The ruins of the Roman port of Luni, rather disappointingly presented 
with poor explanations, no facilities and excruciating translations into English, 
were the venue for my lunch, after which I passed the amphitheatre, and unexpectedly found a stamp at the ticket office.
On towards Avenza, a long stretch beside the railway line bringing me to a graffito homage to Francis Bacon, 
and time, while waiting for the train, to notice the marble quarries, started by the Romans, which have altered the contours of these mountains through the subsequent centuries.
Since Piacenza, my right foot has been troubling me, and I feel like an ancient ruin myself, necessitating some reluctant adjustments to my itinerary, as anything longer than 17 or 18km is becoming uncomfortable. However, with the major portion of this attempt on the Via now achieved, and only two stages remaining after tomorrow's transfer day, completion of my target seems doable.

1 comment:

  1. Brilliant effort to have done what you’ve have and overcome the difficulties, not far to go now!

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to have your comments and messages to help cheer us on your way. For those of you who know us, please help us maintain our search engine anonymity by not revealing our surname or any other personal data in any comments you make. We are dinosaurs who don't do social media!

Pilgrim Passport stamps on the Italian Via Francigena

The pilgrim passport stamp is useful in authenticating your journey, demonstrating your validity as a pilgrim and for giving credence...