Saturday 22 October 2022

Stage 33. Monteriggioni to Siena. Part 1. What the blazes is THAT?

After a meagre supper (takeaway from a Monteriggioni restaurant since there are no shops) at my isolated mountain overnight stop,  and a few nuts for breakfast, I set off into a decidedly cool morning, once it was light enough to see the woodland track which took me back to the Via.  The Italian with whom I travelled for a couple of days, and who is now much further ahead, had told me of a pilgrim breakfast en route, so I hastened thither forthwith, finding two fortified houses just outside La Villa.
The pilgrim oasis is run by volunteers, primarily one Marcello, (who cut Greg Rutherford's hair in the BBC documentary) and as well as a spotless and amply provisioned bathroom, a vast array of beverages and snacks was available.  A large friendly doggy and two sweet cats formed part of the entourage and assorted Italian men also dropped in.  After gratefully filling my stomach and grabbing a snack for the road, contributing to the visitors' book and getting a stamp, I made a donation and set off on the last 13km to Siena, my departure prompted more by the arrival of a loud and insensitive party of Americans who have been on my tail for days than by any desire to leave that tranquil spot.
Passing through mixed oak and chestnut woods, with a few open stretches of field, and one tiresome length of tarmac, I spotted two of the bright orange fungi pictured above.  Does anyone know what they are?  Morelles?

So rapt in thought was I (I seem to be channelling the 18th century today), that I missed a perfect WG moment as I came to a road being resurfaced by various loud and thrilling machines. In recompense I hope you'll accept this image instead.
and so, a last glimpse of countryside before the long schlepp up to Siena.

2 comments:

  1. Can't bear those loud and insensitive Americans. Imagine what it's like to live to live in a nation of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! Sorry, but they were truly over the top. At one point I could hear them 1.5km away. You have my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to have your comments and messages to help cheer us on your way. For those of you who know us, please help us maintain our search engine anonymity by not revealing our surname or any other personal data in any comments you make. We are dinosaurs who don't do social media!

Pilgrim Passport stamps on the Italian Via Francigena

The pilgrim passport stamp is useful in authenticating your journey, demonstrating your validity as a pilgrim and for giving credence...