Tuesday 4 August 2020

In memoriam Paul Thomas

No walking today. Through the wonders of modern technology I was able to join the family and friends for the funeral of my dear ex-colleague and old chum, Paul Thomas, who died on 25th July. He was a kind and wise old bird, and will be much missed. Paul was cared for in his last days at the City Hospice in Cardiff, and I shall be adding this charity to the two dementia charities for which I'm raising money by walking the Via. He and his wife, Val, were early sponsors, so it will be my way of expressing gratitude to do the walk in his memory. He has been much in my thoughts as I walk these past few days.
Today also was joyous, as I had my first swim in six months. Aosta has a fine outdoor pool complex, including a 50m pool, with lovely grass and trees surrounding it, and, of course, some rather splendid mountains. It was a very special way to break my swimming fast, gliding through sunlit water with the sun on my back, and then just floating and enjoying the scenery. It was a fittingly calm and peaceful end to this bittersweet day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to have your comments and messages to help cheer us on your way. For those of you who know us, please help us maintain our search engine anonymity by not revealing our surname or any other personal data in any comments you make. We are dinosaurs who don't do social media!

Pilgrim Passport stamps on the Italian Via Francigena

The pilgrim passport stamp is useful in authenticating your journey, demonstrating your validity as a pilgrim and for giving credence...