Friday 7 August 2020

Stage 4 - Chatillon to Verres (Part I)

At 06.30, as the moon set and the sun rose over the mountains, I left Aosta station for Chatillon, 
where I retraced my steps and then climbed from the centre of town to the church, looking back towards Aosta.
 From here there was a killer climb up to the Ru, where I walked east along a rocky path, passing vineyards and orchards.

By now fully alert after the climb, I passed through sleeping hamlets with old doggies raising one drooping eyelid at my approach. Along a street of Aleppo pines in St Vincent, I skirted the thermal springs, went under a funicular, and literally sat on the ru to eat my first snack, the bench being positioned on a grille above the water.

Another climb to Cillian, with a tiny chapel, 
then more climbing to Feilley. Just before I reached it, the smell of basil filled my nose, and, looking down to the right, I saw an elderly couple working in their immaculate vegetable plot, the signora picking handfuls of basil.



No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to have your comments and messages to help cheer us on your way. For those of you who know us, please help us maintain our search engine anonymity by not revealing our surname or any other personal data in any comments you make. We are dinosaurs who don't do social media!

Pilgrim Passport stamps on the Italian Via Francigena

The pilgrim passport stamp is useful in authenticating your journey, demonstrating your validity as a pilgrim and for giving credence...