Friday 14 April 2023

Prologue to my final stagger: dodging strikes.

A largely smooth and uneventful train journey from Wales to Siena impressed me with my ability to dodge French transport strikes (the day after I crossed France) and Italian train strikes (the day after arriving in Siena by train). Self-congratulation proved premature, however, as it turns out there are two national strikes ahead; one on the day when I need to take a critical bus to my next accommodation after walking for three stages from place to place, and the second on my last transfer day.  

Avid readers of this blog will recall that my journey last year was disrupted significantly by transport strikes (see April/May 2022 entries for Piacenza and Pavia). Some hasty backup planning has been called for, this time, and I believe that I can still complete these last 14 stages, but not quite as planned.

My last stagger is likely to be on 3 May (not 2nd as previously stated) into Rome if the strikes occur as they are threatened to.

1 comment:

  1. Aww bugger🙄....Great start for you let's at least hope weather ok for you

    ReplyDelete

We'd love to have your comments and messages to help cheer us on your way. For those of you who know us, please help us maintain our search engine anonymity by not revealing our surname or any other personal data in any comments you make. We are dinosaurs who don't do social media!

Pilgrim Passport stamps on the Italian Via Francigena

The pilgrim passport stamp is useful in authenticating your journey, demonstrating your validity as a pilgrim and for giving credence...