Thursday 27 April 2023

Stage 41: Viterbo to Vetralla. In which my attempt to avoid a schlepp turns into one. Part 1.

Hoping to steal a march on the day, I queued with sleepy teens at a freezing bus stop at 7am for the Viterbo bus, and rode a bus full of completely silent youngsters. I got off early at the Porta Romana (just inside which is a great cafè for croissants) pleased to have skipped a schlepp across the city, and set off on the clearly signed path. As I gained height on the long hill, I noticed this sign 
warning of damage to the path and directing me to the Signorino variant of the Via which does not appear on the official app, nor is mentioned anywhere on the official site. By the time I located it in an obscure part of my Via Francigena "app-aratus", I'd walked 3 km in the wrong direction, and had to circle round the southern suburbs to find the other variant, which is much shorter (16km vs 20km). The air was pretty blue, despite the growing heat of the sun, as I roundly cursed all apps

No comments:

Post a Comment

We'd love to have your comments and messages to help cheer us on your way. For those of you who know us, please help us maintain our search engine anonymity by not revealing our surname or any other personal data in any comments you make. We are dinosaurs who don't do social media!

Pilgrim Passport stamps on the Italian Via Francigena

The pilgrim passport stamp is useful in authenticating your journey, demonstrating your validity as a pilgrim and for giving credence...